You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign out of iCloud + Reset MacBook without losing any data from my iCloud and without leaving anything on my Mac?

Hi,

I want to pass on my old MacBook Pro 15" (Retina, Mid-2015) to a friend but was wondering how I can reset everything on my mac (so nothing's behind for the next user) without actually losing any of my own documents or data? I have everything backed up on my iCloud already but don't know what to do from here...

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 10:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 10:28 AM

These two articles should help you along. The basic idea is you want to sign out of Find My and iCloud syncing on the computer. After that, you erase the drive and install the original OS version that came pre-installed from the factory. Read the articles carefully before proceeding with the task.

Apple Support- What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2020 10:28 AM in response to randomibblogger

These two articles should help you along. The basic idea is you want to sign out of Find My and iCloud syncing on the computer. After that, you erase the drive and install the original OS version that came pre-installed from the factory. Read the articles carefully before proceeding with the task.

Apple Support- What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support

Sign out of iCloud + Reset MacBook without losing any data from my iCloud and without leaving anything on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.