You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off auto-logout on 10.15.6 Catalina

I've got a brand new MacBook Pro 16" that is running the latest update and under Security/Privacy -> General -> Advanced -> when I uncheck the box or even change the logout time to something other than 30 minutes, it resets itself as soon as I close System Preferences and open it back up again.

Is there a command I can run to do this same thing?

Why won't it stay unchecked?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 9:52 AM

Is this a Mac you purchased yourself, or was it provided to you by an employer or similar? If the latter, they can apply root-level policies that you cannot change (and forcing a time-based logout is an obvious one for security reasons).

3 replies

Aug 27, 2020 9:44 AM in response to camblair

I have tried running the commands I found for the GlobalPreferences file with no good results.

I've also tried this:

Go to System Preferences | Security & Privacy | Click on "Advanced" on bottom right (unlock padlock first) | Uncheck "Logout after X minutes of inactivity"...and it will look like this worked, but if I close System Preferences and open it again, it is always enabled again...which is my problem...

Turn off auto-logout on 10.15.6 Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.