You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating Mail from Yosemite to Catalina through a Time Machine backup, nothing migrated

Title says it all I migrated from Time Machine on Yosemite to a new MacBook Air running Catalina

No issues, no errors but the mail did not migrate. It appeared that some database information was there (flag values) but no mailboxes and when I remade the mailboxes the flag values disappeared.

so

Is this a know issue?

How can I migrate the old messages?

At the moment I don't have access to the old computer (only the Time Machine backupmigr

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 8:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 10:27 AM

As far as I know, actually keeping the attachments associated with the "manual" method I suggest wouldn't happen either.

Since you said that only "at the moment" you don't have access to the original computer, if it's still an option at all I would suggest upgrading that OS X Yosemite 10.10 to something newer (like 10.11 El Capitan, and even 10.13 High Sierra if the hardware supports it, if not further) then making a Time Machine backup off of that and trying to migrate/restore off that.

Beyond that, I think you'd be looking at trying out some 3rd-party data recovery tools like EaseUS, Stellar, Disk Drill, etc. on the V3 mail structure to see if it can keep that together properly maintaining the hierarchy and associated attachments.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 30, 2020 10:27 AM in response to Frédéric le Moustique

As far as I know, actually keeping the attachments associated with the "manual" method I suggest wouldn't happen either.

Since you said that only "at the moment" you don't have access to the original computer, if it's still an option at all I would suggest upgrading that OS X Yosemite 10.10 to something newer (like 10.11 El Capitan, and even 10.13 High Sierra if the hardware supports it, if not further) then making a Time Machine backup off of that and trying to migrate/restore off that.

Beyond that, I think you'd be looking at trying out some 3rd-party data recovery tools like EaseUS, Stellar, Disk Drill, etc. on the V3 mail structure to see if it can keep that together properly maintaining the hierarchy and associated attachments.

Aug 28, 2020 1:25 PM in response to Frédéric le Moustique

Hello Frédéric le Moustique,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having problems restoring your mailbox using a Time Machine backup.

Are you trying to restore an IMAP or POP account? Also, are you experiencing this behavior with one or multiple mailboxes?

We've located these articles that goes into detail about that:

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac

Mail User Guide

Hope this helps. Kind regards. 

Aug 29, 2020 12:53 AM in response to sterling r

The first was a Time Machine backup, the second was computer to computer and the issue is with (the only) two mailboxes both of which are POP

Time Machine options (the timeline on the right and the up arrow) are greyed out within Mail so going back through the history is not an option.

It was possible, through Time Machine, to restore the V3 folder (~/Library/Mail/V3) but that's not much use as it's still not attached to an account

Aug 29, 2020 7:56 PM in response to Frédéric le Moustique

Hi Frédéric le Moustique,

Thanks for getting back to us with those additional details. It looks like you're having issues restoring old emails from 2 POP email accounts using a time Machine backup.

Just to clarify, do you have another Time Machine backup you can try to restore from/ We're asking as there might be an issue with this specific backup.

If that didn't work, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support for further assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Aug 30, 2020 12:10 AM in response to Frédéric le Moustique

If you drill down in the ~/Library/Mail/V3 folder I assume if you go to the various mailbox folders (Inbox, Sent, etc.) and drill down further does your Time Machine have all the content there? In other words, did the content as least make it to Time Machine (especially important since you no longer have the old Mac, and since they are POP and don't exist on the server anymore presumably).

The mail folder structure is separated by accounts with a folder name of a GUID (i.e. 1bcd1fb3a-3525c-3627156-162512356c) so even if these are POP emails from an email service you no longer have you can transplant them to an active account you actually have set up.

You can sort out those individual emails files and say, put them on your Desktop, then drag them into your current Mail App structure to import them. If you have dozens of Mailbox folders in a complex hierarchy this would be cumbersome but doable, if you have a fairly simple hierarchy in your Inbox this manual process wouldn't be too time consuming.

If you've confirmed Time Machine actually has the content you could also try importing the Mac user account from Time Machine using Migration Assistant to see if that has better luck handling it than Time Machine did.

Aug 30, 2020 8:21 AM in response to sterling r

We have restored both from TM and direct from the old computer with the same result so I think corrupt backup is unlikely, though a good backup of a corrupt mail database is entirely possible.

The salient point is that the mail itself has migrated (in my opinion) but the accounts (Accounts in 10.10, Internet Accounts in 10.15) have not.

Migrating Mail from Yosemite to Catalina through a Time Machine backup, nothing migrated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.