You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic 7th Gen Shows Up & Lists in Apple Music, Wont play or edit, just option for Delete from Manage Storage

I have an iPod Classic 7th Gen that shows up and lists in apple music, won't play the songs or allow edit other than delete from Manage Storage. I previously had this set up using a Windows pc, now trying to access on my iMac. Am I missing something? I'd like to be able to play the songs on my iMac with my iPod and also edit song titles, etc as you used to be able to do in iTunes. What is going on, what can I do? Thanks.

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 7:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 2:27 AM

See What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support for some background. The new suite of apps that replace iTunes remove some of the features that made manual device management useful. In particular you are no longer able to play content directly from a manually managed device, nor edit metadata or playlists on it. New items can be added, and selected items removed, but fine control is lost. Syncing with selected playlists is a better approach, with everything being kept in the library, so it never needs to be played from the connected device. See Recover media from an iPod - Apple Community to reclaim the media that is on the device. Unlike iTunes in previous versions of macOS Finder doesn't seem to play well with Windows formatted iPods. I found that I had to restore my classic first before I could use Finder to sync content to it reliably.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 30, 2020 2:27 AM in response to LLD2013

See What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support for some background. The new suite of apps that replace iTunes remove some of the features that made manual device management useful. In particular you are no longer able to play content directly from a manually managed device, nor edit metadata or playlists on it. New items can be added, and selected items removed, but fine control is lost. Syncing with selected playlists is a better approach, with everything being kept in the library, so it never needs to be played from the connected device. See Recover media from an iPod - Apple Community to reclaim the media that is on the device. Unlike iTunes in previous versions of macOS Finder doesn't seem to play well with Windows formatted iPods. I found that I had to restore my classic first before I could use Finder to sync content to it reliably.

tt2

iPod Classic 7th Gen Shows Up & Lists in Apple Music, Wont play or edit, just option for Delete from Manage Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.