You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update operating system from El Capitan to High Sierra

I have a macbook ( mid 2010 13"). The operating system was updated a couple of years ago from Snow leopard to El Capitan ( yes I know, I am a dinosaur). I have tried unsuccessfully to update the system today- in App Store using Update tab it is stating NO UPDATES AVAILABLE. I have checked the check boxes and these are activated to accept updates. I found out that the latest operating system comparable with this model is High Sierra. The newest system Catalina is not available for this very elderly machine!

I have no idea how to access this as no updates are available. Any bright ideas very happily received. As I am not the most switched on technically, I really struggle with this sort of thing. Thanks folks!

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 12:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 12:59 PM

You are not asking about updating but about upgrading. Your model is able to be upgraded to High Sierra: How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra.

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 2, 2020 1:11 PM in response to DollyDeux

Exactly, though similar sounding updates and upgrade are quite distinctive.

Mac OS X naming convention consists of three parts.

w.y.z

w.y = is a version upgrade (typically annual). These are typically an overhaul of the entire system. The App Store is where you find these.

z = is an update to the upgrade that adds features to the upgrade and optimizes security. http://downloads.apple.com/ is where you find these.

Cannot update operating system from El Capitan to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.