You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Rebuilding?

I tried to rebuild my library after trying to edit keywords in the images causing Photos to freeze. The rebuild failed and now when I open Photos it says "client requested library rebuild" - What an earth does this mean and what is going on? Why is this software so badly built that it can't be concise enough to tell you what is going on? I can now no longer open my library with this message coming up and if there is actually something going on, how about having a progress bar so one actually knows something is happening? User Experience is shocking bad with regards to this!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 3:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 1:33 AM

Running latest Mac OS Catalina (10.15.6 (19G2021)).

Running latest Photos Version 5.0 (161.0.120).

Running referenced library, i.e. not Photos default dir. Library is on an external SSD drive.

Main SSD drive is partitioned for Boot Camp. (Don't see how that's relevant to this issue).

I have 'CleanMyMac' software but haven't run it in a while.

Since I reported this issue with my Library failing to open:

I since went to the 'Photos Library (Rimex).photoslibrary' on the external SSD and double clicked on it to see if it would open that way and it did successfully!!!! Since then when selecting the Photos App to open my library, it now opens without any issues.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 7, 2020 1:33 AM in response to Old Toad

Running latest Mac OS Catalina (10.15.6 (19G2021)).

Running latest Photos Version 5.0 (161.0.120).

Running referenced library, i.e. not Photos default dir. Library is on an external SSD drive.

Main SSD drive is partitioned for Boot Camp. (Don't see how that's relevant to this issue).

I have 'CleanMyMac' software but haven't run it in a while.

Since I reported this issue with my Library failing to open:

I since went to the 'Photos Library (Rimex).photoslibrary' on the external SSD and double clicked on it to see if it would open that way and it did successfully!!!! Since then when selecting the Photos App to open my library, it now opens without any issues.

Sep 4, 2020 9:24 AM in response to MarnixGarner

Please read the following user tip and restate your question/problem in detail: Writing an Effective Apple Support Communities Question - Apple Community  

Include:

What system and Photos versions are you running?

Are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

Where is your library located? If on an external HD how is that drive formatted and connected to your Mac?

How much free space do you have on your boot drive?

Have you run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac?

You must have a unique problem because this is the first time I've ever seen or heard about that particular

message.

Sep 7, 2020 9:12 AM in response to MarnixGarner

Glad you got the Photos issue resolved. On another note there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. 

Most experienced contributors to these forums consider CMM akin to malware. With that in mind uninstall CleanMyMac according to the developer's instructions.  

You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For CleanMyMac software you'd do the following searches: 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Names contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

Lastly you should be aware the the pitfalls of a referenced library so you know what may be in store for you. Read this user tip: Disadvantages of a Referenced Library in Photos - Updated for macOS 10.15 Catalina. Just some food for thought.

Photos Rebuilding?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.