You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up Photos

Photos is the the only thing I have not switched over to with Apple, for no reason other than habit, and I want to finally do that but have some questions/issues I am running into:

1) All my photos are in folders on my Mac and synced with my other devices. It looks like I cannot sync any folders if I have cloud enabled for my devices, correct? It's either folder sync or Photos through the cloud?

2) If I move all my folders (and subfolders) into "folders"in Photos and then add remove from the folder on my Mac, will that update the Photos folders as well or will I have to update in both locations manually?

3) If the folder on my Mac doesn't update Photos and I choose to delete those folders, where does Photos store the folders/subfolders I have in there locally?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 3:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 9:07 PM

1) The two types of sync do not coexist well, if at all. Photos attempts to prevent it. I don't know if you can get around that, but you probably shouldn't try.

2) You would have to update both manually. Photos will not rescan any folder just because it was previously an import source. There is no "watch folder" function in Photos.

3) Photos stores albums (which hold only photos and videos) and folders (which hold only albums or nested folders, not photos or videos) in the Photos library. That's true whether or not you delete the import sources. By default, that's also where Photos stores the photos and videos. (It is possible to change that, but it is not a good idea.)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 7, 2020 9:07 PM in response to JBrown79

1) The two types of sync do not coexist well, if at all. Photos attempts to prevent it. I don't know if you can get around that, but you probably shouldn't try.

2) You would have to update both manually. Photos will not rescan any folder just because it was previously an import source. There is no "watch folder" function in Photos.

3) Photos stores albums (which hold only photos and videos) and folders (which hold only albums or nested folders, not photos or videos) in the Photos library. That's true whether or not you delete the import sources. By default, that's also where Photos stores the photos and videos. (It is possible to change that, but it is not a good idea.)

Setting up Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.