You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photo sharing

I signed up for iCloud and am using it to store all my photos. I have an iPhone, iPad and a MacBook. Each time I take a photo with any device, the photos are uploaded to the cloud and can be seen across the devices. So all is good. I also have family sharing enabled, this is with my wife's phone/apple account. If I look at my iCloud, I see she is listed as a member of my family sharing. But when my wife takes a photo on her phone, the photos do not appear on any of the other devices or in my iPhoto on my mac. So I'm thinking her photos are not getting into our iCloud account. I am a novice so am assuming it's user error - any ideas on how I get her photos on her phone into my iCloud? (Weirdly, there are some really old photos of hers I can see on my phone, but nothing that she has taken in months)

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 5:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 5:41 PM

You are doing nothing wrong. iCloud Photos is not a shared feature of Family Sharing. You can have a shared Family Photo Album, that you can each post photos to, but you each have your own Photos when you use iCloud Photos and Family Sharing.

The idea behind Family Sharing is to share certain content like paid apps, music, movies, and books. You can also share a family calendar and family reminders, but Family Sharing still lets you keep your own data, files, contacts and other content private and that includes photos.

When you set up Family Sharing a shared photo album is created automatically. You can select photos that you want to share with your wife and then tap the Share icon (the square icon with the upward pointing arrow) and then select the option to Add to Shared Album>Family to place those photos in the shared album.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 8, 2020 5:41 PM in response to christopheny200

You are doing nothing wrong. iCloud Photos is not a shared feature of Family Sharing. You can have a shared Family Photo Album, that you can each post photos to, but you each have your own Photos when you use iCloud Photos and Family Sharing.

The idea behind Family Sharing is to share certain content like paid apps, music, movies, and books. You can also share a family calendar and family reminders, but Family Sharing still lets you keep your own data, files, contacts and other content private and that includes photos.

When you set up Family Sharing a shared photo album is created automatically. You can select photos that you want to share with your wife and then tap the Share icon (the square icon with the upward pointing arrow) and then select the option to Add to Shared Album>Family to place those photos in the shared album.

iCloud photo sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.