You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The delete option (trash can icon) is grayed out on my IOS iPhone What now?

I managed to delete my photos after archiving them off to a NAS disk off my computer; plugging in my iPhone to my computer and over a 1,000 photos appeared on my phone's Photo app. I can not delete them. I tried moving them to a folder from which to delete them. I tried deleting just one photo. I tried deleting multiple. If there was a way to Get Info and change the security setting, like you can in OSX, I would. Help! The machine has taken control!

iPhone SE

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 8:22 AM

If you sync photos from a computer to an iPhone, you cannot delete them from the iPhone directly on the device. You have to sync again with the computer and select no folders to sync. This will erase the synced photos. Or simply enable iCloud Photos on the iPhone. This will erase the synced photos. Then disable iCloud Photos again.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2020 8:22 AM in response to Hunter.Peck

If you sync photos from a computer to an iPhone, you cannot delete them from the iPhone directly on the device. You have to sync again with the computer and select no folders to sync. This will erase the synced photos. Or simply enable iCloud Photos on the iPhone. This will erase the synced photos. Then disable iCloud Photos again.

The delete option (trash can icon) is grayed out on my IOS iPhone What now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.