You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail : sending mail causes new mail and swoosh sounds

I have the new mail sound turned off in Notifications, but I do have a new mail sound turned on in a Mail rule for VIPs. But when I send mail to anyone in that group, I hear the new mail sound first, followed by the swoosh sent mail sound. That rule is the only place that new mail sound is enabled. Disabling that sound in the rule stops the double-sound behavior, but that's not really a solution.

Any ideas anyone?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 3:05 PM

4 replies

Sep 13, 2020 12:50 PM in response to cp from OH

Yep, I've tried this troubleshooting route a few times.

1. "New messages sound" is set to "None".
  2. When I uncheck "Play sounds for other mail actions" I lose the outgoing swoosh sound.
  3. When I remove the "Play Sound" action in my VIP rule, and send a message to someone on my VIP list, I don't hear any new messages sound or outgoing mail sound. Makes sense.
  4. When I check "Play sounds for other mail actions" again, and send a message to someone on my VIP list, I hear the swoosh as expected.
  5. When I add the "Play Sound" ("Keys") action back in my VIP rule, and send a message to someone on my VIP list, I hear the "Keys" sound specified in the "Play Sound" action in my VIP rule, and then I hear the outgoing swoosh sound.

Note that the VIP rule is the only rule with a "Play Sound" action, and that rule includes the "Stop evaluating rules" action.

Mail : sending mail causes new mail and swoosh sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.