You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Owners is disabled in disk utility for external hard drive.

I upgraded to Mac Catalina a few months ago and I recently did a fresh re-install after formatting my internal hard drive. I'm not sure if that is relevant or not, but I thought that I should mention it just in case. Now, ever since then my permissions have been disabled on my external hard drives. When I go to 'Get Info' on any of my external hard drives and try to change anything under the privileges column I get an error:

Operation cannot be completed because you don't have the necessary permissions.

In the disk utility application it shows the external hard drive mounted, but the First Aid button is greyed out and the section at the bottom has Owners listed as disabled.

I have searched for a solution to this problem for several hours now and have had no luck finding an answer. So, I created an account on here a few minutes ago and here I am. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 5:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 7:52 PM

I have moved and copied dozens of gigabytes to and from these external hard drives since I bought my mac back in 2013. Same format, no issues whatsoever.
Then you had third-party software installed that allowed you to do that.

Mr_Porter -- see the links I sent earlier and also this one which is from Seagate:

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/how-to-use-a-backup-plus-or-goflex-drive-with-the-macos-006151en/

It explains that without the special driver installed, you cannot write to the NTFS drive. When you did your "clean install" you lost the system extension (KEXT) that allowed write access to the drives because you did not reinstall it. The clean install removed the KEXT. This link also explains how to reformat the drives if you want them just for file storage or for Time Machine use. Before reformatting them you would need to back up all files of course. I recommend the reformat approach because that NTFS driver is operating system dependent, e.g. it may work for Catalina but may require new versions for future OS updates.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2020 7:52 PM in response to Barney-15E

I have moved and copied dozens of gigabytes to and from these external hard drives since I bought my mac back in 2013. Same format, no issues whatsoever.
Then you had third-party software installed that allowed you to do that.

Mr_Porter -- see the links I sent earlier and also this one which is from Seagate:

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/how-to-use-a-backup-plus-or-goflex-drive-with-the-macos-006151en/

It explains that without the special driver installed, you cannot write to the NTFS drive. When you did your "clean install" you lost the system extension (KEXT) that allowed write access to the drives because you did not reinstall it. The clean install removed the KEXT. This link also explains how to reformat the drives if you want them just for file storage or for Time Machine use. Before reformatting them you would need to back up all files of course. I recommend the reformat approach because that NTFS driver is operating system dependent, e.g. it may work for Catalina but may require new versions for future OS updates.

Sep 13, 2020 6:17 PM in response to Mr_Porter86

What I was describing needs to be done by an account with Administrator privileges. Check that your account has Administrator privileges (go to Users and Groups in System Preferences and make sure it says "Admin" under your name in the list in the left hand column).

Below is what I see with one of my external drives. After unlocking the padlock, note the area with the tiny up/down arrows next to Read, Read & Write etc. By clicking on those tiny up/down arrows you can change it so everyone can read/write. Some drives, if used for Time Machine backup, may be "owned" by the user who created it, so if that was a different user, that might create an issue. See if you can adjust the privileges with those up/down arrows which should present you with a menu of options.

Sep 13, 2020 5:30 PM in response to Mr_Porter86

When you did the fresh install, did you migrate over the same old users from before with Migration Assistant? It sounds like the new user is not recognized as the same as the previous user of those drive, even if the user name might be the same?

In any case, with the drive connected, try Get Info, click the padlock to unlock the window showing drive info, and then if there is a box to "ignore permissions" click that, or change the other permissions to read & write for you and/or all users. Can you do that?

Sep 13, 2020 5:45 PM in response to steve626

I don't believe so... I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I migrated over the old users. I only had my account and a guest account anyway, but I do remember no longer seeing the guest account when I logged back in after the installation was complete.

Now as for the steps that you mentioned, I have tried those as well, but I don't even have those options available. When I click 'Get Info' on my external hard drive. I open the lock, enter my password, and I still can't edit anything whatsoever. The plus and minus buttons are greyed out as well as the settings button.

Sep 13, 2020 6:36 PM in response to Mr_Porter86

What type of external drives are these? Do you have manufacturer-provided utilities installed for them? What is the format of the drives, HFS+, APFS -- are they GUID partition scheme? How were they originally formatted or partitioned? Are they NTFS or some other Windows type format scheme? What are they used for (Time Machine, general storage, something else)?

Can you see files on these drives? Do you even have read access?

Sep 13, 2020 6:45 PM in response to steve626

These are 4TB Seagate External hard drives, NFTS format, no Seagate utility application or anything like that installed. I do have access to the files. I tried to copy a file to the external and that's when I realized that I had an issue. I can't edit anything on the drive (move files within the drive, create a folder, etc.). This issue seems unique to me especially since I couldn't find anything about it...anywhere.

Sep 13, 2020 7:06 PM in response to Mr_Porter86

I think the problem is the NTFS format. Manufacturers offer special firmware which is embedded in these drives (or a utility to install and use with these drives) so they can be used with both Macs and PCs. Without the special drivers, firmware, or utilities, the Mac can only read, not write.

See https://www.seagate.com/support/software/paragon/

See also https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-change-permissions-on-an-external-hard-drive-for-a-mac

I suggest that you backup everything on these drives to another drive, then reformat them to native Mac formats (GUID, HFS+, or APFS -- HFS+ should be fine [and might even be preferable] unless you want to use them as bootable drives for Catalina), then restore the contents back to their respective drives.

Alternatively you can download the special software (see above) to fix the problem but it may return again when there is an update to Catalina or when Catalina is replaced with the next OS. I strongly recommend getting rid of NTFS and using native Mac format/partition schemes on all external drives, unless you absolutely must write/read to these drives with both Macs and PCs.

Owners is disabled in disk utility for external hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.