You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically Switch to App when opening file

I work on a Windows 10 laptop for work and my MacBook Pro for personal use.

One Windows feature I like is how it automatically switches to an application when I open a file requiring that application. For example, I am switched to Excel when I open a spreadsheet, or Word when I open a document.

I'd like to have the same functionality on my Mac but can't seem to find where that setting would be. Right now when I open a spreadsheet - say from within Mail - it opens in the background and I have to manually switch (e.g. COMMAND-TAB) to Excel.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 3:14 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Sep 14, 2020 3:52 PM in response to Thomas Gray

One Windows feature I like is how it automatically switches to an application when I open a file requiring that application. For example, I am switched to Excel when I open a spreadsheet, or Word when I open a document.

There isn't a setting. It should just do that.

Maybe you installed something that is interfering with the normal functionality. Anti-virus and other "security" software often does things like that. It's about all they ever do.

Sep 15, 2020 11:09 AM in response to Thomas Gray

Never actually attempted that, so I don't know if it is something new in Catalina.

It does that for the Recents, but not any opened windows (as far as I tested), so I wonder if it was a design thing instead of something they missed. I have no idea why they would implement it that way, though.

I tried holding down all the key combinations and couldn't get it to come up active.

Automatically Switch to App when opening file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.