You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iTunes Library from High Sierra to Catalina?

Migrated my music from a mid-2011 iMac (High Sierra) to a late-2019 27" iMac running Catalina. Started losing songs, albums?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 7:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 8:06 AM

Hi kazMaster,

We see you're having an issue locating some music after migrating to a new computer. To clarify, did this happen over time or was the music missing right after you transferred? Do you see all the files present in the Music folder on your Mac?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Take care.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2020 8:06 AM in response to kazMaster

Hi kazMaster,

We see you're having an issue locating some music after migrating to a new computer. To clarify, did this happen over time or was the music missing right after you transferred? Do you see all the files present in the Music folder on your Mac?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Take care.

Sep 22, 2020 8:47 AM in response to kazMaster

Thanks for following up, kazMaster.

We wouldn't recommend deleting or removing any files just yet. Let's create a new iTunes library and import the music there. From there you can make sure that your library is intact prior to removing any contents from your other library.

Here are the instructions on how to do that:

1. Hold down the Option key, then open the Music app or Apple TV app.
  2. In the window that appears, click Create Library

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Sep 16, 2020 9:34 AM in response to jeremy_v

Almost immediately after migrating to a newer iMac w/ Catalina, I thought there were albums missing from iTunes; i.e. “Music But when I refused a full subscription Apple Music, Music App seemed to have more and more “holes.”

My iTunes/Music library is intact–that is, after I moved it to its proper place in Catalina’s new folder hierarchy (??). And I back up my Music Folder daily with CCC.

Hope that made sense. (I’m not a novice.)

Thanks in advance!

Moving iTunes Library from High Sierra to Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.