You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manage my photos

My photos in is taking too much space on my Mac and iCloud - I am looking for a simple way to transfer photos from Photo For Mac to an external hard drive?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 1:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 2:15 PM

If you just want the image files on a hard drive, completely separate from Photo app, then you can simply export them.

You can either export the edited versions if you've done a lot of editing, or the unedited originals.

Alternatively you can just move the whole library to an external drive, and still manage it with photos for mac - but to solve the iCloud problem you would also have to unlink the library from your iCloud account.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2020 2:15 PM in response to Daiszeee

If you just want the image files on a hard drive, completely separate from Photo app, then you can simply export them.

You can either export the edited versions if you've done a lot of editing, or the unedited originals.

Alternatively you can just move the whole library to an external drive, and still manage it with photos for mac - but to solve the iCloud problem you would also have to unlink the library from your iCloud account.

Manage my photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.