You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Smartmailboxes will not save changes

Hello! Mail recently began not saving and changes to the smart mailboxes. If I reposition a smart mailbox, add criteria or rules to it, they will not be saved if I close the app and reopen. The other regular mailboxes do save changes in position etc. So this seems to be specific to the smart mailboxes.

I've seen a few post from several years ago, but they aren't very clear on how to repair, or they are from older OS's.

I have tried:

• running Disk First Aid to repair permissions etc.
  • removing SmartMailboxesLocalProperties.plist (all smart mailboxes disappeared on relaunch, and reappeared when I put it back, so clearly this file holds the mailboxes themselves, just maybe not their positions and rules)

Is there a pref's file that could be damaged? Attached is a view of MailData folder found in ~/Library/Mail/V5/MailData. Which file is it? What should I try to fix the issue?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 11:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 2:25 PM

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

4 replies

Sep 16, 2020 4:05 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank You for the response and suggestion!

I attempted several times to restart in safe mode and it seemed to hang each time with the progress bar pretty much complete.

I have not yet upgraded to Catalina. I'm wondering if I should do that and see if it clears up the problem?

If I should resolve this problem before upgrading, what should be the next steps?

Mail Smartmailboxes will not save changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.