You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2017 as a dual monitor for Macy

So I have a IMac 2017 and I use a MacBook Pro 2016 for work. Is there any way to the IMac as a secondary screen for my MBP? I know new iMacs no longer have Target Display mode but there has to be another way right?

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 4:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 5:48 PM

Very common question and the answer is no, it is too new. Target Display Mode was discontinued in 2015 when the Retina iMacs were released. If your MBP needs an external display, please buy one, the good news is they have come down in price. By the way, no there are no work arounds, iMacs are computers and are not displays for other computers.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2020 5:48 PM in response to alea23

Very common question and the answer is no, it is too new. Target Display Mode was discontinued in 2015 when the Retina iMacs were released. If your MBP needs an external display, please buy one, the good news is they have come down in price. By the way, no there are no work arounds, iMacs are computers and are not displays for other computers.

iMac 2017 as a dual monitor for Macy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.