You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rearrange People in the People Folder of Library

I have about 80 people identified in my photo library. When I click on "People" they all appear. But they appear in what appears to be random order. Is there a way to rearrange them alphabetically? Thanks!!

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 3:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 10:20 AM

Thank you. That is pretty surprising. Do you know if the way that they are ordered by Apple is just the order in which the people were identified by me?

Initially, yes. When you name a new person and it to the People album, it will appear at the bottom of the album, so you can easily find it and move it to the place where you want it.

You are lucky, that you have "only" 80 people in your album. My People album has currently 866 people it used to be more before the last system upgrade, but some people seem to have been lost in iCloud).

When I have to drag a face from the bottom of the album to the top of the album, I have to drag it across thirty pages of faces, and it it is nearly impossible to do this on the trackpad. Usually I accidentally drop it and have to start over. The People feature does not seem to be intended to be used with large libraries and many named people.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2020 10:20 AM in response to gungula go

Thank you. That is pretty surprising. Do you know if the way that they are ordered by Apple is just the order in which the people were identified by me?

Initially, yes. When you name a new person and it to the People album, it will appear at the bottom of the album, so you can easily find it and move it to the place where you want it.

You are lucky, that you have "only" 80 people in your album. My People album has currently 866 people it used to be more before the last system upgrade, but some people seem to have been lost in iCloud).

When I have to drag a face from the bottom of the album to the top of the album, I have to drag it across thirty pages of faces, and it it is nearly impossible to do this on the trackpad. Usually I accidentally drop it and have to start over. The People feature does not seem to be intended to be used with large libraries and many named people.

Sep 21, 2020 7:32 AM in response to STCav

Hi, I am working from my desktop. I am looking at the subfolder of my Library (in the upper left of the sidebar-- (the subfolders of the Library are Photos, Memories, Favorites, People, Places, Recents, Imports and Recently Deleted). When I click on People, I see all of the right people, including their names and their pictures. Will Photos automatically alphabetize them for me? They appear in random order). Thanks!

Sep 22, 2020 5:13 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you. That is pretty surprising. Do you know if the way that they are ordered by Apple is just the order in which the people were identified by me? It seems that way. Also, I have to manually drag each person, right? I don’t see any groups or way to make groups. I only see the individual people who have been identified. Thanks again for your help (I have read other very helpful posts from you.)

Rearrange People in the People Folder of Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.