You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud.com won't verify my mac.com email OR let me switch to a me.com/icloud.com alias

In the last few months any time I have tried to log in to iCloud.com I've gotten a message during the login process that says I need to verify the email associated with my AppleID, which is a mac.com address. When I ask to be sent an email so that I can verify it, the system says one is sent, but it never shows up (not in my Inbox, Junk, or any of the other folders I can access on my iPhone). I can't check for it any other way, since I would need to log in to iCloud to check for it, but iCloud says I need to get the email in order to log in.

I know it's not a problem with my AppleID, because when I enter the mac.com email address and my password, I get a two-factor verification number sent to my iPhone. I say to allow the conection and enter the number in iCloud.com, at which point I get a pop-up which says "Your Apple ID email address must be verified before you can sign in."

As I said, if I enter my mac.com address, the system says an email has been sent, but it never shows up. When I tried to enter the @me.com or @iCloud.com aliases, thinking maybe mac.com is no longer supported, I got an error message that says "the application type specified is unacceptable."

It does give the suggestion that I can change my AppleID, which is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE as a solution. The last time Apple forced me to change my AppleID I lost all of my iTunes purchases and their tech support was unable to restore them, even though I spent hours on the phone over the course of two weeks trying to do so. I'm NOT going through that again, so need a solution that allows me to keep my current AppleID.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 4:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 2:35 PM

Just had a support call and was able to resolve this issue, so coming back to share what fixed it for anyone else who might be experiencing the same problem.

After confirming what I had described (i.e. can't login to iCloud.com, can't verify email, can't change to me.com/icloud.com) the tech had me try the same things at appleid.apple.com. When those didn't work, we tried logging in with a different alias - I picked the me.com version, using the same password as I used for the mac.com one - and verifying again with the mac.com email on file. That also didn't work, but when I entered the same me.com email that I'd just used as my AppleID, it allowed the change, instantly verified and got me into the account. I went and logged in to iCloud .com using the me.com alias and got in without any further problems.

TL;DR: iCloud kept asking me to verify @mac.com email address associated with my @mac.com AppleID, but didn't send a verification email or let me switch my email to @me.com/@iCloud.com aliases. Logged in using @me.com alias and switched the email for verification to match and it worked.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2020 2:35 PM in response to Sam Ritchie

Just had a support call and was able to resolve this issue, so coming back to share what fixed it for anyone else who might be experiencing the same problem.

After confirming what I had described (i.e. can't login to iCloud.com, can't verify email, can't change to me.com/icloud.com) the tech had me try the same things at appleid.apple.com. When those didn't work, we tried logging in with a different alias - I picked the me.com version, using the same password as I used for the mac.com one - and verifying again with the mac.com email on file. That also didn't work, but when I entered the same me.com email that I'd just used as my AppleID, it allowed the change, instantly verified and got me into the account. I went and logged in to iCloud .com using the me.com alias and got in without any further problems.

TL;DR: iCloud kept asking me to verify @mac.com email address associated with my @mac.com AppleID, but didn't send a verification email or let me switch my email to @me.com/@iCloud.com aliases. Logged in using @me.com alias and switched the email for verification to match and it worked.

iCloud.com won't verify my mac.com email OR let me switch to a me.com/icloud.com alias

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.