You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Configurator 2 - IOS14

Hello,

I'm an IT Tech doing work for a school and they have just purchased 40 new iPads. I'm wanting update them to ISO 14 via Apple Configurator 2 via the schools MacBook Pro (OSX Catalina) but all i get is this error.

I'm managing to prepare and enroll them all into Meraki but I'm really really hoping I haven't got to update each one individually over the schools WiFi as this will take too much time and will kill the already poor internet speeds.

Hope someone can help!

Cheers

Mick

iPad

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 6:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 4:56 PM

This happens with some major iOS/iPadOS updates I've seen in the past, and I was reminded of this problem just last week.

If you are running macOS 14 or later you'll use Finder, if you're running an earlier version of macOS you'll use the iTunes.app (similar steps for either).

1. Open Apple Configurator 2, ensuring it is updated to the latest version available from the App Store Updates section
  2. Update one device to iOS/iPadOS 14, then connect it to your Mac
  3. Open Finder, and select the device from the left sidebar under the Locations section.
  4. You should receive a prompt stating "Apple Configurator 2 would like to update Device Support for currently connected devices."
  5. Click Install, you'll receive some status prompts and most likely will receive a prompt to Close Apple Configurator 2
  6. After the install you should see the device updated to the latest iOS or iPadOS version
  7. Open AC2 to confirm.

After that you should be able to update all your local devices without the error persisting.

From my understanding, under-the-hood this manual process is the only (probably quickest?) tried-and-true way of updating the MobileDevice Framework (System Information -> Software -> Frameworks -> MobileDevice).

Check your MobileDevice framework version and it should be newly updated following these steps.

Hope this helps!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2020 4:56 PM in response to Mickha2020

This happens with some major iOS/iPadOS updates I've seen in the past, and I was reminded of this problem just last week.

If you are running macOS 14 or later you'll use Finder, if you're running an earlier version of macOS you'll use the iTunes.app (similar steps for either).

1. Open Apple Configurator 2, ensuring it is updated to the latest version available from the App Store Updates section
  2. Update one device to iOS/iPadOS 14, then connect it to your Mac
  3. Open Finder, and select the device from the left sidebar under the Locations section.
  4. You should receive a prompt stating "Apple Configurator 2 would like to update Device Support for currently connected devices."
  5. Click Install, you'll receive some status prompts and most likely will receive a prompt to Close Apple Configurator 2
  6. After the install you should see the device updated to the latest iOS or iPadOS version
  7. Open AC2 to confirm.

After that you should be able to update all your local devices without the error persisting.

From my understanding, under-the-hood this manual process is the only (probably quickest?) tried-and-true way of updating the MobileDevice Framework (System Information -> Software -> Frameworks -> MobileDevice).

Check your MobileDevice framework version and it should be newly updated following these steps.

Hope this helps!

Oct 2, 2020 6:52 AM in response to Mickha2020

Hi Mick,

I had the same issue this week / today.

Mac Mini / Apple Server / Apple profile manager / Apple Configurator 2.

In our case my iPhone went nuts (Only a short apple on the screen and then nothing) and one of our iPads.

After trying every solution found ond the WWW I decided to restart the Mac Mini.

Althoug I updated every thing this week the restart took quite a long time.

So I guess there was an other update. Bug in the previus one ???????

Now both systems are up and running again.

Hendrik

Apple Configurator 2 - IOS14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.