You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally Closed 400+ tabs on Safari on iPad. Help!

I accidentally closed all but one of my tabs in Safari on my iPad. I had over 400 tabs.

I pressed the + button and retrieved 200 of them. That's all it will allow me to recover.

Is there any way to retrieve the rest of them?

It's a lot of research and info I don't want to loose. Yes, I should have saved the bookmarks, but didn't :-(

Thank you in advance for the help!

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 6:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 7:08 AM

Whilst iPadOS Safari is actually very robust at protecting open sessions/tabs, if closed tabs are not recoverable using the procedures I have described in the linked article, then they’re effectively lost. Your ability to recover only a subset of tabs would suggest that your earlier recovery attempts may have compounded the problem.

The ability to reopen/recover a closed Safari window and associated tab is finite; subsequent actions have significant impact on this ability.

If direct recovery of a closed Safari window has been lost, your remaining option may be to review your Safari Page History.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2020 7:08 AM in response to Samara

Whilst iPadOS Safari is actually very robust at protecting open sessions/tabs, if closed tabs are not recoverable using the procedures I have described in the linked article, then they’re effectively lost. Your ability to recover only a subset of tabs would suggest that your earlier recovery attempts may have compounded the problem.

The ability to reopen/recover a closed Safari window and associated tab is finite; subsequent actions have significant impact on this ability.

If direct recovery of a closed Safari window has been lost, your remaining option may be to review your Safari Page History.

Sep 23, 2020 7:55 PM in response to LotusPilot

I was very careful in how I recovered the 200 tabs.

After an online search, I read that some users encountered that same problem, that Safari will only let you recover 200 tabs, not the 400+ I lost.

I was hoping that perhaps there was a workaround so that I could recover everything else.

I open to any suggestions!

Thanks!!!!

Sep 23, 2020 6:22 AM in response to Samara

Don’t panic.

You may find this article to be helpful in understanding some of the frequent difficulties encountered by users new to iPadOS Safari - along with some of Safari’s more esoteric features and quirks:

iPadOS - Safari - Lost Windows, Lost Tabs… - Apple Community

Insofar as possible, I hope to have distilled most of the frequent problems reported here - and documented procedures, strategies [and where needed] some useful workarounds.

I that you find this to be helpful in resolving any issues that you may be experiencing.

Accidentally Closed 400+ tabs on Safari on iPad. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.