You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 15" (A1398) Screen Flickers, Blacks and Blues... Shuts down

It happened 2 updates ago... My screen will look pixelated, flicker, turn blue and sometimes black but it will never recover in that session. Sometimes, when I restart it, it will actually work for a little while, but basically it has become a brick. Please help! I have run the diagnostic program and there's nothing wrong with it... supposedly.

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 1:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 4:00 PM

Welcome.

I suspect you've already tried this but I would suggest resetting the NVRAM and SMC first.

Next, try booting into Safe Mode to see if the issue persists there for a little while.

The model # you gave spans a few generations ('13-'15) and may or may not have dual graphics cards but if your machine does in fact have a discrete graphics processor (i.e., GPU), you may try turning off the Integrated graphics and see if the issue persists. --this may tell you if it's related to the graphics processor or not depending on whether the issue pops-up again.

If that does not resolve the issue, the issue may require further testing and diagnostics on the hardware. The built-in diagnostic program will identify most hardware issues but your machine may require a bench technician for further tests and diagnostics (e.g., Apple Service Diagnostic).

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2020 4:00 PM in response to nextgenmom

Welcome.

I suspect you've already tried this but I would suggest resetting the NVRAM and SMC first.

Next, try booting into Safe Mode to see if the issue persists there for a little while.

The model # you gave spans a few generations ('13-'15) and may or may not have dual graphics cards but if your machine does in fact have a discrete graphics processor (i.e., GPU), you may try turning off the Integrated graphics and see if the issue persists. --this may tell you if it's related to the graphics processor or not depending on whether the issue pops-up again.

If that does not resolve the issue, the issue may require further testing and diagnostics on the hardware. The built-in diagnostic program will identify most hardware issues but your machine may require a bench technician for further tests and diagnostics (e.g., Apple Service Diagnostic).

Macbook Pro 15" (A1398) Screen Flickers, Blacks and Blues... Shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.