You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS14 to macbook OSX compatibility

My phone updated to IOS14. I run 10.11.6, because i still use iDVD and older pages versions. Apple never says what software will be updated. so my question to the community is, What software is going to be updated? Is it my macbook OS or a patch to iTunes like the last time? Message is "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch"

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 4:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 12:02 PM

Of course it is not going to install Catalina, Catalina can only be upgraded to via the App Store, it is a 8.24GBs

upgrade.

The Apple Support article makes mention of it upgrading your OS to Catalina.

7 replies

Sep 24, 2020 11:25 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Yes, this is the message. I nwas on the phone with Apple care last night and they told me my computer will update to Catalina if i click on the link. I like your answer better and i cannot afford to have the Macbook update to Catalina at this time. If this will just patch itunes great that's what i did last time, but had to go to the apple store to make sure. If you are confident this will not update my OS i will go for it.

Oct 25, 2020 8:07 AM in response to Yost

AM, I was able to validate with Apple that itunes will only load a patch to allow the iphone running IOS 14 to connect. to El Capitan. I followed the direction on the itunes pop up and for me the result was perfect. My iphone now connects to itunes under El Capitan and backs up as it should. When I discussed this Apple they told me the key is, it does not say "Update the Operating System" . I mentioned that if Apple added one such sentance all this can be avoided. It should say "this is a patch to itunes, etc." I can not speak to Logic Pro 9. My other issue is that Apple so changed their Pages to run on "less sophisticated" ios platforms that if I upgrade it comepletly blows away my old invoicing system using the Pages mailmerge. I am going to upgrade to the latest IOS for my macbook pro once I validate that it will work with my ipod and yes I will lose all invoicing on Pages. I still use an ipod because i can leave it connected to my cars! I hope this helps you.

IOS14 to macbook OSX compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.