You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do I need the Apple TV app running on my mac to stream to my Apple tv?

thats the question, do I need the Apple TV app running on my mac to stream to my Apple tv?

thanks

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 7:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 8:12 AM

No, that is not needed per se.

• Users can AirPlay from iTunes (macOS 10.14 or earlier), QuickTime Player, or Safari with in-app controls. Users can AirPlay from the Apple TV app (macOS 10.15). Users can do AirPlay Screen Mirroring for the whole screen (any app*) with the menu bar AirPlay control. (AirPlay Screen Mirroring can be quite demanding for video sources on low end Macs, as the Mac has to do playback and capturing and streaming at the same time. Basic AirPlay without mirroring is much easier.)
  • Users can stream by Home Sharing, with playback control on the Apple TV, from a shared library (iTunes or Apple TV app).
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 24, 2020 8:12 AM in response to John Notar-Francesco

No, that is not needed per se.

• Users can AirPlay from iTunes (macOS 10.14 or earlier), QuickTime Player, or Safari with in-app controls. Users can AirPlay from the Apple TV app (macOS 10.15). Users can do AirPlay Screen Mirroring for the whole screen (any app*) with the menu bar AirPlay control. (AirPlay Screen Mirroring can be quite demanding for video sources on low end Macs, as the Mac has to do playback and capturing and streaming at the same time. Basic AirPlay without mirroring is much easier.)
  • Users can stream by Home Sharing, with playback control on the Apple TV, from a shared library (iTunes or Apple TV app).

do I need the Apple TV app running on my mac to stream to my Apple tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.