You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t add widgets to Home Screen on iPad!

Hello,

I have an iPad Air 3, and I have just updated it last night to iOS 14. The problem is I can’t add widgets to the Home Screen even tho my home screen is on “More” mode. Also the “keep today view on Home Screen” is on. Does anyone know how to fix this!??

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 12:34 PM

People aren’t understanding this problem with PadOS 14. This isn’t about adding widgets freely like on the iPhone. I, too, didn’t have the option to Keep on Home Screen. I restarted and got nothing. Then I figured out why. I had to change my Homescreen to show smaller icons instead of bigger ones. So, Settings - Home Screen & Dock - select “More” and make sure the option below to “Keep Today View on Homescreen” is on. When I switched back to the widget screen, the option was there now. Didn’t have to erase and reinstall. Hope this helps!

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 29, 2020 12:34 PM in response to aminah88

People aren’t understanding this problem with PadOS 14. This isn’t about adding widgets freely like on the iPhone. I, too, didn’t have the option to Keep on Home Screen. I restarted and got nothing. Then I figured out why. I had to change my Homescreen to show smaller icons instead of bigger ones. So, Settings - Home Screen & Dock - select “More” and make sure the option below to “Keep Today View on Homescreen” is on. When I switched back to the widget screen, the option was there now. Didn’t have to erase and reinstall. Hope this helps!

Sep 24, 2020 10:33 AM in response to aminah88

Ensure that you have either an iCloud or iTunes backup of your iPad - then restore your iPad to factory settings. This process will erase your iPad and install a fresh copy of iPadOS14. At conclusion of the process, you can restore your iCloud/iTunes backup.

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Sep 24, 2020 9:56 AM in response to aminah88

Perhaps a forced restart of your your iPad will help - as this often resolves an isolated issue:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Sep 24, 2020 11:35 AM in response to aminah88

Hi aminah88,

I assume you are referring to the fact that you cannot put the widgets in amongst your apps, like you can on your iPhone. Unfortunately, at the moment iPadOS does not support having widgets in amongst apps, neither does it have the app library. The only way to have widgets at a glance is to have the keep today view on Home Screen as you do - then at least you get the widgets on the first page of your Home Screen.

I hope this helps!

Can’t add widgets to Home Screen on iPad!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.