You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant stop working after Security Update 2020-005 for Mojave

On 4 differents iMac with Mojave, the assistant migration stop working after the installation of Security Update 2020-005. After the launch of assistant migration, the screen go directly to the login screen.

Others have the same problem?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 6:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 2:44 PM

Seem that the Security Update 2020-005 is broken :(

https://mrmacintosh.com/mojave-2020-005-security-update-causing-major-problems-updated/

Definitely broken Migration Assistant.

How Apple left this version out?

Very disappointed

2 replies

Sep 26, 2020 1:00 AM in response to Richard Dansereau

I had a similar experience.

I installed the update and immediately my 21.5" (late 2013) iMac became unusable (beach balling on every mouse click; my Time Machine backup disk showed NO backups had been made; EtreCheck showed MAJOR issues; etc., etc.)

I spent several hours running Apple H/W diagnostics, booted into Recovery Mode and ran Disk Utility on both my Macintosh HD and Time Machine backup disks;. No H/W errors or disk errors were reported.

I then used Recovery Mode to reinstall my last Time Machine backup image just before I installed the last Security Update, and now everything is operating normally again.

I have NO third party S/W installed on my iMac -- I have no idea why this particular update "bricked" my system.

Migration Assistant stop working after Security Update 2020-005 for Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.