You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I HAVE to INSTALL the New Update on my iPhone 8+ ?

Do I HAVE to Download / Install the New Update? (Forgive me if I’m not using the correct terminology - I’m technically challenged).

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 3:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 3:27 PM

OhKathy wrote:

Do I HAVE to Download / Install the New Update? (Forgive me if I’m not using the correct terminology - I’m technically challenged).

Short answer is no. You never have to update your phone.

However, you may find yourself becoming incompatible at some future point with apps. You may also increase your risk of your device being compromised by not using all of Apple's security updates.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2020 3:27 PM in response to OhKathy

OhKathy wrote:

Short answer is no. You never have to update your phone.

However, you may find yourself becoming incompatible at some future point with apps. You may also increase your risk of your device being compromised by not using all of Apple's security updates.

Sep 26, 2020 5:05 PM in response to LACAllen

LACAllen, Thank you. The reason I ask is because I constantly keep my iPhone(s) updated. However it seems to more frequently that each time there’s a problem afterwards with my apps, email, access to certain sites, etc.

This particular Update states on the Left Column:

“IOS 12.3.2 This Update has no published CVE entries” and directly across on the Right it refers to: iPhone 8+.

I’m not even going to pretend that I know what this means.

Just curious if that’s a heads up for those of us who have an iPhone 8+.

I have never had any other type of Cell - started with an iPhone 4(?), but unfortunately haven’t gotten any smarter.

Sep 26, 2020 5:12 PM in response to OhKathy

OhKathy wrote:

LACAllen, Thank you. The reason I ask is because I constantly keep my iPhone(s) updated. However it seems to more frequently that each time there’s a problem afterwards with my apps, email, access to certain sites, etc.
This particular Update states on the Left Column:
“IOS 12.3.2 This Update has no published CVE entries” and directly across on the Right it refers to: iPhone 8+.
I’m not even going to pretend that I know what this means.
Just curious if that’s a heads up for those of us who have an iPhone 8+.
I have never had any other type of Cell - started with an iPhone 4(?), but unfortunately haven’t gotten any smarter.

I'm confused a bit. If you do keep your phone current, you should be going to iOS 14.0.1 now.

Your messages talks about 12.3.2. That is many versions behind current.

Sep 26, 2020 5:23 PM in response to OhKathy

OhKathy wrote:

I really don’t know what I have on my phone. I just read about the new update and as I was going down the list, I saw what it said specifically about iPhone 8+.
I can look around and see if I can find what I have now. Thank You.

Settings > General > About > Software Version will tell you what the current iOS version is.

Do I HAVE to INSTALL the New Update on my iPhone 8+ ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.