You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old, non-iphone photos disappeared from photos after 'Optimize Mac Storage'

I'm hitting the storage limit on my hard drive so I recently decided to go to Photos preferences on my MacBook Pro and select iCloud>Optimize Mac Storage (instead of 'Download originals to this Mac). I thought this would move my photos to iCloud to free space on the local HD; however, the next time I opened Photos I can only find the pictures that I took with my iPhone, after 2013. Everything (thousands of fotos) from my old camera, scanned slides are gone. I also lost the albums that were saved on my computer as well as the extensive information about people.

This is extremely frustrating because Apple at no time asked for confirmation to delete anything from my machine. Does anyone have any idea how I could recover my photos/albums/people data? I am using Catalina 10.15.6.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 11:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 11:53 AM

Photos may have opened a different library than before. Where is your Photos Library stored?

To check for different Photos Libraries, quit Photos, then open it again while holding down the options key ⌥ . Release the key, when the library chooser dialog appears, then select a different library.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2020 11:53 AM in response to gferraz

Photos may have opened a different library than before. Where is your Photos Library stored?

To check for different Photos Libraries, quit Photos, then open it again while holding down the options key ⌥ . Release the key, when the library chooser dialog appears, then select a different library.

Sep 28, 2020 12:02 PM in response to léonie

Indeed, Thank you so much léonie! Photos was opening the 'system Photos library'. Opening while holding the option key let me pick an option that showed only 'Photos Library' and there is all my information. It bothers me a bit that I can't really answer your question, though: where is my Photos Library stored. I'll have to dig a little bit deeper. Thank you!

Old, non-iphone photos disappeared from photos after 'Optimize Mac Storage'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.