You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preference Error: could not load Sound preference pane

When I click on the 'Sound' button in the System Preference Panel I get a spinning wheel and then finally the statement: Preference Error: could not load Sound Preference pane

Discovered that iTunes quit playing songs, takes longer to even load up iTunes. Tracked the bigger problem down to Sound Preference messed up. Also experincing some extreme slowness with the new Safari update 14.0. Youtube doesn't work now.

I did also install the latest security update several days ago. (Both updated when they first appeared just a few days ago). Now I am suffering these problems.

I'm on MacOS 10.14.6.

Rebooted multiple times, ran Utility Disk, ran Apple Diagnostics using [Option + D]. None of that helped.

My system has been working fine for years.

Any suggestions?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 2:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 3:05 PM

Quit Sys Prefs & try deleting these files then restart & try it...

/Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/SyncedPreferences/com.apple.syncedpreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2020 3:05 PM in response to admiral_koa

Quit Sys Prefs & try deleting these files then restart & try it...

/Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/SyncedPreferences/com.apple.syncedpreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

Sep 28, 2020 3:39 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua

I followed what you said but it only changed the error code to: "There was an error in Sound preferences" from 'Could not load Sound preference pane".

I did notice that when I deleted the first file it automatically got replenished. There was almost a duplicate of the file I was to delete next in line but it ended with "~orig" (its a Document file not a property list). I wonder if that messed your directions up.

Any more ideas?

thanks

Sep 28, 2020 7:38 PM in response to BDAqua

I'm sorry. I've tried but can't seem to do it. I am the only one on this computer, I am the administrator. I tried to make another administrator but it never shows up but the system tells me that that name has already been used when I try it again. I made six guests.

Previously I had the guest user account turned off. Now I messed that up and it won't stay off. When I uncheck the "allow guests to log in to this computer" it does not stick. I have deleted all of the newly created guest folders. So now I have a new problem with my User & Group panel cooperating with me. (Of course maybe it's all me).

But the sound is clearly not working.

I did reset the PRAM also.

Preference Error: could not load Sound preference pane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.