You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally deleted IMovie library, how can I restore?

I was clearing my disc space and deleted IMovie on accident, and so all of my home movies have been cleared. They are not in my trash can, and I'm not sure about time machine. I have opened time machine but it is only showing usage from today?

Any help please, thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 4:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 10:31 AM

You must have deleted the original media when you deleted your iMovie library. You would need to redownload your original media.

Try your Time Machine backup again. Here's a link that explains the process:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/restore-files-mh11422/mac

-- Rich

4 replies

Sep 29, 2020 9:37 AM in response to pjmiller00

You can restore from Time Machine or from the iMovie Backups folder.

To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie

library.  Click on one dated just before you deleted your library.  iMovie will open in

that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons)

and see if your projects are intact.

-- Rich

I accidentally deleted IMovie library, how can I restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.