You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup

So basically 3.3 gb on my phone is taken up by backups. Can I delete that backup then back it up again brand new? Will anything happen to my phone? Will all my apps and photos get deleted? Please help.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 7:20 AM

Yes, you can tap on Manage Storage there on iCloud, and then on Backups then on the Backup you want to delete and then on Delete Backup.

As said, this deletes your iPhone's iCloud backup off your iCloud account. Again, this will prevent you from restoring any data should your phone fail. It will however be recreated again if you have iCloud Backups turned on inn the first iCloud screen under "Apps using iCloud".

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2020 7:20 AM in response to rakel555

Yes, you can tap on Manage Storage there on iCloud, and then on Backups then on the Backup you want to delete and then on Delete Backup.

As said, this deletes your iPhone's iCloud backup off your iCloud account. Again, this will prevent you from restoring any data should your phone fail. It will however be recreated again if you have iCloud Backups turned on inn the first iCloud screen under "Apps using iCloud".

Oct 1, 2020 7:04 AM in response to rakel555

Once again, the backup is not taking up space on your phone. That backup that yoy see listed in the settings on the phone is taking up space in iCloud,

You cannot add to the physical storage on your phone. You must delete content in order to make room on the phone. Maybe this will help make things clearer. Take a look.

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Oct 1, 2020 6:17 AM in response to rakel555

Yes you can delete the backup and start all over again. Sometimes, deleting a backup is a basic troubleshooting step if you having problems with a new backup. However, I caution you that 3.3GB for a backup is not unreasonable in size if that is your concern. When you delete the backup that has no bearing on the content on your phone. Nothing will be deleted but the backup.

Oct 1, 2020 6:47 AM in response to rakel555

Giulio is correct.

Backups are not stored in your iPhone, so whatever you are seeing is not a backup, or if it is a backup deleting will not really release any space on your iPhone at all. It may release space on iCloud or iTunes on your computer depending on where the backup was made.

So the question really is, what exactly are you looking at? Where are you seeing this backup? And what are you trying to accomplish exactly?

Also note, that deleting a backup from iCloud or iTunes will not delete anything from your iPhone as such no space will be recovered directly on your iPhone by doing this. But will prevent you from restoring said backup to your iPhone should disatser strike and your iPhone become unusable.

Oct 1, 2020 6:53 AM in response to rakel555

I apologize for not being clearer. My esteemed colleagues are correct that he backup is not stored on the phone. I misread that in your post.

Having said that, I stand by what I stated earlier within in the new context, you can delete the backup from iCloud, and 3.3GB is not an unreasonable size for a backup.

But, deleting the backup will not save space on the phone, only in iCloud.

Oct 1, 2020 7:03 AM in response to rakel555

As was mentioned the backup does not exist on your iPhone. Backups are not stored directly on an iPhone. You can delete it, but as it does not exist on your iPhone it will not release any space on your iPhone.

Where on your iPhone are you seeing these 3.3GB exactly? If you go to Settings->General->iPhone Storage, what do you see? How much storage is being used? How much is free?

Are you perhaps seeing this 3.3GB in Settings->Account(top of Settings)->iCloud?

Oct 1, 2020 7:15 AM in response to Phil0124

OHHHHH. Ok so yes I see the 3.3 gb from backup when I press settings>account>and then the icloud. But when I go to general it says 34 out of that 65 is taken. So basically I was looking at something else. I feel stupid. So there is no exact way to get rid of the gn I see when I press my iCloud account on my phone?

Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.