You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can restore from a backup on my computer without losing new photos or apps?

I need to restore my phone from a backup on my computer, however, I have some new apps from my work. If I restore from backup, will I lose any new apps that aren't apart of the backup, or will my new apps remain installed?

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 1:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 1:19 PM

Restoring a backup replaces everything on your phone with the contents of the backup. You will have to restore those new apps after restoring the backup. For photos you can sync them to iCloud by going to Settings/[your name]/iCloud and turning on Photos. Wait for it to sync before restoring the backup. You can then sync the photos back to your phone. You can verify that the photos are synced at https://icloud.com and clicking on Photos. If your photos will put you over your current iCloud storage limit (5 GB free, 50 GB for 99¢/month) you will have to purchase more storage.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2020 1:19 PM in response to JuarezV

Restoring a backup replaces everything on your phone with the contents of the backup. You will have to restore those new apps after restoring the backup. For photos you can sync them to iCloud by going to Settings/[your name]/iCloud and turning on Photos. Wait for it to sync before restoring the backup. You can then sync the photos back to your phone. You can verify that the photos are synced at https://icloud.com and clicking on Photos. If your photos will put you over your current iCloud storage limit (5 GB free, 50 GB for 99¢/month) you will have to purchase more storage.

I can restore from a backup on my computer without losing new photos or apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.