You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

search my music files, see composer

I bought a new mac, got moved from iTunes to Music. I'm a classical musician; like 10% of the many, many gigs of music in my library share the same names (e.g., Concerto no. 2). In the new Music app, when I search my library, I see a massive grid of albums or songs, like thousands of tracks. But in iTunes, I could change the view to see the songs as a list and to add columns like the composer. Those options are greyed out in the new Music; you can only add composer if you've established a playlist (including the whole library), but not if you've narrowed things down for a search. Does anyone know how to search your files, and then change your view options?

The entire thing seems to be optimized for Apple to tell me what it thinks I should listen to next, and to make it almost impossible to navigate my own library, which used to be easy. I should note that I'm trying to use my own files in the Music app, not stream from the Music subscription service.

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 8:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 5:14 AM

Looking at your library, go to the View menu and choose Show Filter Field. It raises a new search field at the upper right that behaves the normal way.

Similar questions

3 replies

search my music files, see composer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.