You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple TV won’t play sound

When I turn my Apple TV on to watch something it has no sound. Plays the tv fine just as if it was on mute, but not. I’ve tried everything, unplugging it for 30 seconds and back in. Checking the work connection etc. but when I use my smart tv apps they have sound. Just not my Apple TV.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 8:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 1:53 PM

Depending on your TV capabilities, you may need to set the audio format on the Apple TV to Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo, whichever of these two applies to your speaker setup. The Automatic setting of PCM Multichannel may not be compatible; the other two options are fallback. Adjust video and audio settings on Apple TV - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2020 1:53 PM in response to taran1454

Depending on your TV capabilities, you may need to set the audio format on the Apple TV to Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo, whichever of these two applies to your speaker setup. The Automatic setting of PCM Multichannel may not be compatible; the other two options are fallback. Adjust video and audio settings on Apple TV - Apple Support

My Apple TV won’t play sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.