You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending/receiving Email

I have recently changed my password for my email provider but, for some reason I cannot send emails now. Have tried resetting everything but still not working. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 4:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 1:13 AM

Hi! Just thought you’d like to know that I have finally (with your help) cracked the problem. It seems the smtp port number was wrong. I got the right one from the details in Outlook on my PC. Very grateful for your help. Signing off now.

7 replies

Oct 7, 2020 4:58 AM in response to felicity58

Where did you change the password - on your iPad, or on your email provider’s mail server?

An email password change has to match on both server and iPad. Changing the password at the server doesn’t change the configured password on your iPad - nor the reverse.

To update the password on the email server, you’ll need to log-in via your email providers web-portal.

If you can’t send email on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Oct 7, 2020 6:41 AM in response to LotusPilot

First I changed the password on my email providers website, then I changed the password to the new one on my iPad. I have also managed to change it in Outlook on my PC. Emails work on my PC and my android smartphone but still not working on my iPad. I’ve even reset the network settings which pulled in some incoming mail but still won’t send emails out.

Oct 7, 2020 7:22 AM in response to felicity58

If you have changed the email password, it has to be changed on the iPad for both the Incoming IMAP/POP3 server and for the Outgoing SMTP server.

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your Email Address] > [Incoming Mail Server] Password

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your Email Address] > SMTP > [Primary Server] > Password

Effectively, you have to update the password in three (3) places; iPad (2) and server (1). Your latest reply strongly suggests that your Outgoing SMTP password is incorrect. For most email providers, you use the same password for both your incoming and outgoing server settings.

Hopefully, unless I missing something, this will resolve your issue.

Sending/receiving Email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.