You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The height of my 2020 27" iMac hurts my neck

The height of my 2020 27" iMac hurts my neck.

Can the stand on this new model be removed? Has anyone found a third party desktop stand for iMac that will allow it to sit lower?

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 5:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 5:53 AM

The stand can not be removed.

You will need to adjust your work space by getting a lower desk or a taller chair.

see > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK61YEBYUH0

and > https://www.ors.od.nih.gov/sr/dohs/Documents/Computer%20Workstation%20Ergonomics

10 replies

Oct 8, 2020 12:18 PM in response to MichL10

This new iMac is killing my neck. I am so disappointed the stand doesn't allow the monitor to move up and down. My chair is set as high as possible. The keyboard is fine. I am literally going to have to cut a hole in my desk and sit the monitor on the drawer under it. Hope it helps. I can't believe it can't be removed in order to possibly mount it.

Oct 7, 2020 1:05 PM in response to MichL10

You may need a desk that has adjustable heights or consider a new chair that can adjust easily too. I'm currently working at my dining room table as our home office is being remodeled and my iMac sits too high. My neck is getting strained while this is going on so I can appreciate your problem.

You were advised correctly, the stands on iMacs have not been removeable since the 2012 models were released. Apple sells new iMacs with VESA mounts, however you need to order when you are buying the iMac as they cannot be retrofitted.

Oct 7, 2020 1:06 PM in response to MichL10

Perchance do you wear bifocal glasses? When I did, I had fits with feeling that the monitor of several computer models was too high. Then I bought computer glasses that eliminated unavoidable head tilt that bifocals create.

You do not want to let the bottom of the iMac case be any closer to the desk than it is now. The cooling air intake are on the bottom edge and reducing the current 3-inch clearance can result in overheated that could damage you computer.

The height of my 2020 27" iMac hurts my neck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.