You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monetizing my podcast

At what level of downloads per episode can one begin to try and monetize the podcast?

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 6:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 7:54 AM

You cannot charge for podcasts in the iTunes Store/Apple Podcasts.

It used to be possible to password-protect a feed for subscribers in iTunes, which would handle a password request set up by the server. I don't know whether this is still possible, and I seriously doubt whether the facility is available in the Podcasts App. it's not something I can very well test, but you could try a test yourself, by setting a a password-protected folder on your server. However, as I say. either way this can't be done in the Store or Apple podcasts Browse, only for subscribers.

As to advertising content, Apple say: 'Spam content or other content created with the sole purpose of advertising or marketing products, content, or services outside of Apple Podcasts is prohibited.'

Whether this would apply to a podcast which had normal content but carried the odd advert or sponsorship I don't know. You would have to ask Support about that. Go to https://itunespartner.apple.com/en/podcasts/overview and click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2020 7:54 AM in response to bdbrewer

You cannot charge for podcasts in the iTunes Store/Apple Podcasts.

It used to be possible to password-protect a feed for subscribers in iTunes, which would handle a password request set up by the server. I don't know whether this is still possible, and I seriously doubt whether the facility is available in the Podcasts App. it's not something I can very well test, but you could try a test yourself, by setting a a password-protected folder on your server. However, as I say. either way this can't be done in the Store or Apple podcasts Browse, only for subscribers.

As to advertising content, Apple say: 'Spam content or other content created with the sole purpose of advertising or marketing products, content, or services outside of Apple Podcasts is prohibited.'

Whether this would apply to a podcast which had normal content but carried the odd advert or sponsorship I don't know. You would have to ask Support about that. Go to https://itunespartner.apple.com/en/podcasts/overview and click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page.

Monetizing my podcast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.