You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently bought iMac is too slow

Recently bought iMac(basic/least configuration) is very slow. Even opening applications takes few minutes to turn up. The configuration of my Mac is equipped with 3.6 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i3 with 8GB RAM.

I have four logins/users. Is that a problem?

I have also attached the EtreCheck Report below:

Kindly post your suggestion.

Thanks, Brit

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 12:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 6:20 AM

since it's been less than 1 year, if it was bought new it is still under warranty.

please see information on apple warranty

also see contacting apple

7 replies

Oct 11, 2020 5:04 AM in response to bmbrit417

right off the bat i see two issues that would cause slowness.

#1 is that your hard drive appears to be failing.

#2 you have a rotational hard drive that is painfully slow.

it may be time for repairs. if you are going to get service, i would recommend upgrading the HDD with an SSD.

edit: something i missed in the etrecheck report is that it is a newer machine. if it's still under warranty, contact apple about the failing hard drive.

Oct 11, 2020 2:48 PM in response to Ronasara

ronasara,

i do agree that she could use more ram. but with performance numbers that low (shown below), along with etrecheck saying the drive appears to be failing, adding ram would be a fool's errand. to up the ram and not address the hdd would waste her time and money.

if the drive was OK, she should see around five times that read speed. even with only 8GB ram.

Oct 11, 2020 3:15 PM in response to bmbrit417

Fellow user etresoft, creator of EtreCheck, has noted in other topics that a failed hard drive notice doesn't necessarily mean what it says. Especially in a case like this. What he says happens with such slow drives is the app expects certain tests to finish in xxx amount of time. A glacially slow hard drive such as what's in your Mac ends up making EtreCheck think the drive is failing because it takes so long to complete the test.

Purchasing the most basic model of any type of computer, Mac or Windows, is never a good investment. Base models are designed to save you the most money at the expense of just barely having the ability to run.

Recently bought iMac is too slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.