You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages - Check Spelling While Typing

Hello,

In Pages Version 10.1 (6913) I have only "Check Spelling While Typing"

turned on, and it quibbles with "of", see screenshot:

Why is this wrong, or is Pages wrong?

Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 3:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 11:11 PM

My test results, using Pages 5.6.2 and the same segment of your text as tested by SGIII showed the same results:

Spell checkers check each group of letters against the list of words in the spelling dictionary. If "of" is marked as a misspelling in this location, those red dots should indicate that "of" is not included in the dictionary of correctly spelled words (which seems a strange omission!). If that also occurs when you type 'of' on its own or in other contexts, you should be able to fix it by right clicking (or control-clicking) the 'misspelled' word, then choosing Learn spelling. This adds the word to your spelling dictionary.

On a related topic, note that the spell checker will NOT mark any of the words in this example as misspelled, They're not, but some are not the correct words for their location in the sentences.

The children looked over the ragman's wears, and found some scarves and mittens. They ran from their to the playground, and now there dressing they're snowmen.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2020 11:11 PM in response to coxorange

My test results, using Pages 5.6.2 and the same segment of your text as tested by SGIII showed the same results:

Spell checkers check each group of letters against the list of words in the spelling dictionary. If "of" is marked as a misspelling in this location, those red dots should indicate that "of" is not included in the dictionary of correctly spelled words (which seems a strange omission!). If that also occurs when you type 'of' on its own or in other contexts, you should be able to fix it by right clicking (or control-clicking) the 'misspelled' word, then choosing Learn spelling. This adds the word to your spelling dictionary.

On a related topic, note that the spell checker will NOT mark any of the words in this example as misspelled, They're not, but some are not the correct words for their location in the sentences.

The children looked over the ragman's wears, and found some scarves and mittens. They ran from their to the playground, and now there dressing they're snowmen.

Regards,

Barry

Oct 11, 2020 10:05 PM in response to coxorange

It doesn't look "wrong" per se to me. My Pages (with "Check Spelling While Typing" turned on) doesn't seem to think it's wrong either.

When I think an AI-generated suggestion is wrong then I just ignore it.

You could, of course, just tighten up the wording a little by ditching the "of" – with something like this:

"Super Friction Shields work by continuously grinding a Beryllium Copper disc or belt along a Warpium plate or disk. This generates …"

SG

Oct 12, 2020 1:35 PM in response to coxorange

That sounds more like a grammar/usage check gone wrong, but that type of 'possible error' would be marked in green, not red.

Although spell check is a service of the operating system package. You might want to send feedback to Apple using the Provide Pages feedback item in the Pages menu. Filed as a bug report, you'll need to describe (give and example of) how to reproduce the error.

Looking at it again, I see that although it has a different meaning, the phrase does make grammatical sense with 'off' replacing 'of':

…grinding a disk or belt off Beryllium Copper…

…grinding a disk or belt of Beryllium Copper…

Regards,

Barry

Pages - Check Spelling While Typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.