You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SCAM local call

I recently (4:31pm indio ca 10/13/2020) got a call from (760)391-*** claiming my Apple icloud account has been breached and to contact apple support or to press 1 to be forwarded to Apple Support.... I didn’t press a number and phone call just got cut off, so I called back and it was Indio Police Department I told them what just happened and they told me to notify Apple

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 4:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 6:17 PM

The phone number was spoofed, as are most telemarketing and scam calls, to a number that they thought you were more likely to answer (e.g., a local number).

Apple doesn't make unsolicited phone calls. If there was a problem you would be notified when attempting to log in, including when logging into this forum. Also see: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

That Apple Support page suggests the following if you want to report it to someone:

You can report fraudulent tech support calls to the Federal Trade Commission (U.S. only) at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov or to your local law enforcement agency.

One option to consider is Settings > Phone > Silence Unknown Callers. See: Detect and block spam phone calls - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2020 6:17 PM in response to melymejia

The phone number was spoofed, as are most telemarketing and scam calls, to a number that they thought you were more likely to answer (e.g., a local number).

Apple doesn't make unsolicited phone calls. If there was a problem you would be notified when attempting to log in, including when logging into this forum. Also see: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

That Apple Support page suggests the following if you want to report it to someone:

You can report fraudulent tech support calls to the Federal Trade Commission (U.S. only) at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov or to your local law enforcement agency.

One option to consider is Settings > Phone > Silence Unknown Callers. See: Detect and block spam phone calls - Apple Support

SCAM local call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.