You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Keyboard Shortcut To Toggle Available Options In Dialogue Window

I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts when possible. When I want to permanently delete something from my trash bin, I get the standard prompt to confirm if I want to complete the operation. The default button is Cancel and has a blue highlight over the button. How do I get the OS to choose Delete with a keyboard shortcut? On Windows, you just press the Tab key, but this doesn't work on a Mac.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 11:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 7:00 PM

The only means to select the Delete button now is with the input device, and nothing from the keyboard.

Cmd-d still works, along with turning on Full Keyboard access to tab to the button.

For the most part, cmd+first letter of button works. If there are two buttons with the same first letter, I don't think it works. Esc will click Cancel, and return will select the default button.

Full Keyboard Access is available in the Keyboard System Preferences, Shortcuts tab.

Enable "Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls."

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2020 7:00 PM in response to Dechris_mode

The only means to select the Delete button now is with the input device, and nothing from the keyboard.

Cmd-d still works, along with turning on Full Keyboard access to tab to the button.

For the most part, cmd+first letter of button works. If there are two buttons with the same first letter, I don't think it works. Esc will click Cancel, and return will select the default button.

Full Keyboard Access is available in the Keyboard System Preferences, Shortcuts tab.

Enable "Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls."

Oct 19, 2020 11:43 AM in response to Dechris_mode

Hi Dechris_mode,

We appreciate you reaching out to us about keyboard shortcuts. We strive to bring the best personal computing experience to customers around the world through our innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings. We welcome your feedback on our products here: Product Feedback

You can use this article to learn more about Mac keyboard shortcuts: Mac keyboard shortcuts

Cheers!

Oct 19, 2020 3:12 PM in response to Dechris_mode

As recently as macOS High Sierra, this Trash related dialog from the Finder's Delete Immediately… menu item was receptive to tabs, where that tab would cause the Delete button to receive a blue surround, and the spacebar (not the return key) would work on the Delete button to remove the file.

With the advent of Mojave, Apple rewrote the Finder, and tweaked it again for Catalina. Tabs no longer work as they did in the first paragraph for either subsequent Finder implementation. The only means to select the Delete button now is with the input device, and nothing from the keyboard.

Need Keyboard Shortcut To Toggle Available Options In Dialogue Window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.