You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With Catalina update, I can't write to pen drives and external HDs even though I'm an administrator

https://youtu.be/1-02uCMhnm8 Here I show the problem!

After upgrading to Catalina (v.10.15.7), I can read, but I can't write to any external hard drives or flash drives that I used to use normally! I go to "Get Information"> "Sharing and Permissions"> and I'm there as an Admin, being able to do "read and write". However, I cannot record. And if I try to change the "privilege" of my user or even the user "everyone" (which is "read-only"), Catalina says that "I don't have the necessary permission to change this".

The various drives have free space and my user is "Administrator". For all of them, I have permission to "read and write", but I can't write or paste (the cursor shows the forbidden sign).

There are also the "everyone" and "staff" users listed (they were not created by me and I think they are standard Macs) with "read-only" permission. If I try to change their permission to record, the message comes that I am not allowed to change this status. It seems that I am not logged in as an administrator, although I am.

In addition, to do a test, I created a new "administrator" user and tried to access my hard drives and flash drives with him. Same thing. They appear with permission to "record" on these media, but I can't save / paste anything on them.

What I do? Thanks, people!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 4:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 4:57 PM

Yess!! GREATTT!! With download Microsoft NTFS for Mac by Paragon Software , I got it!! Thank you, so much!!! \o/

Similar questions

4 replies

With Catalina update, I can't write to pen drives and external HDs even though I'm an administrator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.