You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode w/ 2020 MacBook pro

If I have a mac book pro 2020 running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 trying to use a iMac Mid 2011 running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 as a monitor - is there any way I can? I have all thunderbolt ports and adapters...all apple.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 7:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 12:27 AM

Catalina on the MacBook Pro in not the problem. It won't work because the MacBook Pro is newer than 2019.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

"You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier"

6 replies

Oct 15, 2020 7:34 PM in response to den.thed

Yes Ive seen that page already. It did not reflect catalina would not be supported when I purchased these items over the summer. Its only recently been updated to say theyre no longer updating that page. I had been in touch with their support who said it could be fixed in the next patch but I guess their "fix" is just to slap that message on a dead page. I was wondering if anyone knew of a work around. Not just a link to a page no longer supported.

Target Display Mode w/ 2020 MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.