You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there ANY way possible to Downgrade from my original OS (Catalina)?

I just got a brand new MacBook Air running Catalina (16 gb ram, 256 hard drive) thinking that I could backup, format and install Mojave. I have a number of older 32 bit programs that I cannot part with (newer is not necessarily better). After backing up I formatted my hard drive (APFS encrypted). After numerous tries I cannot get it to boot to my bootable installer. It keeps going to internet restore no mater what I do. I have used this bootable installer before so I don't think that is the problem. My Startup security utility settings are Medium Security and Allow booting from external media is selected. I tried the No Security setting and almost immediately get a black screen with a white "no" sign.

I have seen just a few statements on the web that it is impossible to Downgrade from your original OS. BREAK MY HEART! Is this really true?? Are there no workarounds?? I also have tried setting up an extra volume with intentions of doing a dual boot Mojave/Catalina. I restored Catalina to one volume using Time Machine backup. Catalina won't install Mojave to the extra volume and still won't boot into my Mojave bootable installer.

Is there any way I can put Mojave on this Mac??? I have time machine backups of everything if that would help. Thanx!

MacBook

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 7:54 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Is there ANY way possible to Downgrade from my original OS (Catalina)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.