You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spelling and Close Apps via Voice Commands

How do I use voice commands to close apps? Also, what voice commands allow me to use special characters such as @ and individual letters?

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 5:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 11:59 PM

Hi Highlandmck

Yes - accents - always interesting when using voice recognition - you can get some interesting results :)

You can type out words as follows:

With the keyboard visible you can say "Tap a" Tap b" or "Press a" Press g" etc. I guess you might have tried this already. This is not very successful in practice as more often than not it mishears the letter. Unlike other voice recognition tools you cannot use the phonetic alphabet to ensure clarity.

What does work better is the following:

With the keyboard visible, say "Show numbers continuously"

Then type your word by using the number next to the letter. If you have predictive text turned on this can make it easier as you can select the word once it comes up on the predictive text bar.

This does take longer than it probably should, but it does give more accuracy when typing out the letters.

I hope that helps.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2020 11:59 PM in response to Highlandmck

Hi Highlandmck

Yes - accents - always interesting when using voice recognition - you can get some interesting results :)

You can type out words as follows:

With the keyboard visible you can say "Tap a" Tap b" or "Press a" Press g" etc. I guess you might have tried this already. This is not very successful in practice as more often than not it mishears the letter. Unlike other voice recognition tools you cannot use the phonetic alphabet to ensure clarity.

What does work better is the following:

With the keyboard visible, say "Show numbers continuously"

Then type your word by using the number next to the letter. If you have predictive text turned on this can make it easier as you can select the word once it comes up on the predictive text bar.

This does take longer than it probably should, but it does give more accuracy when typing out the letters.

I hope that helps.

Oct 19, 2020 7:15 AM in response to Highlandmck

Do you mean a set of commands that are the same across both iOS voice control and windows speech recognition?

Whilst there is some commonality between all the speech recognition solutions they have many differences which makes using them very frustrating, and challenging, for anyone who uses more than one platform. I am always mixing up the commands and wondering why its not working.

Unfortunately, given that these are all developed by different organisations, I cannot see this being resolved anytime soon.

Nov 10, 2020 11:43 PM in response to Highlandmck

According to this video, you should be able to use more sample commands then using the on-screen keyboard. You could say, for example: "letter A", "letter B" etc.

Some of the video is a little redundant but I think it's worth a large. The part you're looking for specifically is at 10:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y6MQq-Jtz0

This is a PDF of the voice commands he talks about in his video

http://bit.ly/VoiceControlPDF

Good luck!

Spelling and Close Apps via Voice Commands

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.