You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not detected second monitor/tv on MacBook Pro 2010 13"

Hi guys,

I have an issue with connecting my MBP with my computer monitor or TV via DisplayPort to Hdmi adapter.

When I connect cable to adapter or adapter to MBP, My Mac screen blink once, but not sending signal via cable to Monitor/TV... When I disconnect cable or turn off TV/Monitor, screen also blink like it want to send signal from cable but no sending. In preferences there is no display and not detecting screen by "Detecting" button

I've tried:

• reseting NVRAM
  • restarting Mac with connected cables to display
  • I can't reset SMC becouse ONLY my Control button doesn't work :( (or maybe you have got second option to do this without this key ?)

MacBook Pro 2010 13 works with 1080p displays via mini DisplayPort to Hdmi adapter? or maybe I need to buy cable not an adapter?

Maybe buying Mini DisPla to VGA (or DVI) an then Vga (Dvi) to hdmi works? (Mini DP -> Vga + Vga -> Hdmi)

Can you give me advice? Or some instruction ?

Thanks a lot, and I'm waiting for response. :)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 19, 2020 9:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 5:32 AM

Hi Glowal2,

We understand that you're having some issues with your MacBook Pro not detecting your external monitor.

You should first go through this article to make sure everything is configured and using the correct adapters.

After that, use this guide to help resolve any possible issues.

Have a great rest of your day.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 24, 2020 5:32 AM in response to Glowal2

Hi Glowal2,

We understand that you're having some issues with your MacBook Pro not detecting your external monitor.

You should first go through this article to make sure everything is configured and using the correct adapters.

After that, use this guide to help resolve any possible issues.

Have a great rest of your day.

Oct 24, 2020 6:52 AM in response to Glowal2

You can not "stack" adapters. You must make the transition from computer output to display input in at most ONE adapter.

If you do not change it, your external display may be attempting to 'Mirror" the built-in display. This is done by setting both to a compromise resolution. sometimes the computed compromise resolution is not acceptable, and either the built-in or the external (or both) drops out. Use Command-F1 to toggle the sense of [√] Mirror displays, or change it here:

Not detected second monitor/tv on MacBook Pro 2010 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.