You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hp software reported as malware. Suddenly can't print. HP 2055 DN on network

Catalina 10.15.7 MBP i7 with touch bar etc.

Suddenly, parts of the hp driver software (seems to be files ending in .bundle) are being reported as

.... will damage your computer

and the print job won't print.

The printer web page will print status lists etc and so I know my machine is talking to the printer.

I can reinstall the printer and so I know that bonjour sees and identifies the printer.

My wife's MB air has the same issue so I know that it aint just my MBP.

Cups sees the printer (on localhost:631) and I can change paper size etc but the test page won't print from the cups admin i/f.

I have reset the router (?) I have reinstalled the drivers including a new download from Apple.

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 11:46 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Oct 23, 2020 12:05 PM in response to nerak100

Have you installed any anti virus checking software? Get rid of it.

I did a google search on "Sudden Problems with printing macos" and I didn't find many instances of the problems.

-----------------------

I recommend etrecheck to assist in sorting out performance

issues.

I'd run etrecheck. Etrecheck will analyze your

machine and software and generate a report. Post results here so

others can view.  Experienced users have found the reported

information useful when diagnosing problems. The proprietary stuff

in the report gets filtered.

Install and run

-- Download etrecheck.  Goto the  EtreCheck 

download page.  The download link is at the bottom of the

screen

-- Install etrecheck. Goto your download folder. Double click on

EtreCheckPro.zip

-- Drag the app to the application folder if you wish.

-- Turn on full disk access for EtreCheck.  This was how

macos used to work.  Do it for etrecheck not avast as in the

instructions.

Enabling Full Disk Access in macOS Mojave

(10.14) and higher | Official Avast Support

-- Double click on etrecheck to run.   The first five

runs are free.

An alternative explanation how to install, run and report output

for the EtreCheck Application

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… -

Apple Community

Explanation of EtreCheck  output by etresoft, the author.

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

How to report etrecheck data.

1) Run etrecheck 😎 [ see above ].

2) When the report is done, click on the Export icon.

3) click on "Copy report" to copy to the clipboard

What to do with your report

4) Get back in your web browser and access your discussion. etc.

5) click on Additional text icon

which results in...

6) Paste your report and fill in a title.

7) click on "Add Text" button

8) post your post by clicking on reply or update

Robert

R

Oct 23, 2020 12:09 PM in response to nerak100

nerak100 Said:

"hp software reported as malware. Suddenly can't print. HP 2055 DN on network"

-------

Perform the Following:

A. Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Malwarebytes searches for malware (short for (malicious software) and spyware. Those make your Mac act in a mislead manor. So scan with it, and remove what is found from the quarantine. It is created by longtime users of these forums making it the only reliable Security Software for a Mac. If synced with iPad connected, it may have got installed on your Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

B. Contact HP:

You can go through the Manufacturer (HP). Get the driver from not other than HP. Elsewise, you may end up installing malware or spyware.

C. Get Drivers Only form the Manufacturer:

Important: Get the drivers from none other than the manufacturer (HP). Elsewise, it could end up being spyware or malware you install (which is seemingly the case here).

Oct 24, 2020 1:38 AM in response to nerak100

First of all, the post below which says "solved" it is not the case that "searching the internet" is going to be useful advice to someone who has got to the point of posting a detailed report!

I have found a work around that works. The clue being the helpful user who pointed out that it was the driver that was unsigned.

In brief this is the solution.

1. Throw away the driver or even reset the printer interface via the OSX system manager
  2. Access the local web interface for cups. Use http://localhost:631 to do this
  3. Add a printer using a suitable build in generic driver. For HP printers this is likely to be a "generic" PCL driver. I used the ppl driver but experimenting does find others. The key point is that Apple will tolerate the built in cups drivers and HP printer in general will talk PCL.
  4. My printer now works and the duplexer works. It is possible that it is not entirely optimum and we still need HP to release a signed driver.

If you want me to post full details of this solution then reply to this post and I will do a more detailed response.

Oct 23, 2020 12:45 PM in response to nerak100

In the HP Printer support forum [ https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-Utility-fails-with-Code-Signature-Invalid-MacOS-10-15-7/m-p/7824870#M200138 ], StevePSplusB209 posted:

This is an HP software signing issue that cannot be fixed or worked-around by users.

An HP developer must
- re-sign the HP Utility code using a valid certificate authority
- re-create the installer package and sign it
- post the updated installer package on HP Support

An experienced developer could do this in a hour or two. I know, I used to do this (retired driver writer)

This is an HP software signing issue that cannot be fixed or worked-around by users.

An HP developer must
- re-sign the HP Utility code using a valid certificate authority
- re-create the installer package and sign it
- post the updated installer package on HP Support

An experienced developer could do this in a hour or two. I know, I used to do this (retired driver writer)

This may take a week or so for HP to fix ... unless everyone screams REALLY LOUDLY since all of our perfectly functional printers are now just warm electric bricks.

hp software reported as malware. Suddenly can't print. HP 2055 DN on network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.