You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32 vs 64bit gaming

i have an iMac 27" running catalina 10.15.6 ... I want to play the hitman game which requires 32bit not 64bit. how do I reinstall a 32 bit OS to play this game?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 11:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2020 11:53 AM

Did you iMac come with macOS Catalina pre-installed? If so, you will not be able to downgrade to an earlier version of macOS that still supports running 32-bit apps ... and, if that is the case, you still have a few options available to you to do so.

Those are:

• Use a VM manager, like Parallels or VMware, to run a VM of an earlier macOS or OS X release.
  • Use another Mac that is running an pre-Catalina release.
  • See if the author of the gaming software offers a 64-bit version.
5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 23, 2020 11:53 AM in response to James Nicholson

Did you iMac come with macOS Catalina pre-installed? If so, you will not be able to downgrade to an earlier version of macOS that still supports running 32-bit apps ... and, if that is the case, you still have a few options available to you to do so.

Those are:

• Use a VM manager, like Parallels or VMware, to run a VM of an earlier macOS or OS X release.
  • Use another Mac that is running an pre-Catalina release.
  • See if the author of the gaming software offers a 64-bit version.

32 vs 64bit gaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.