You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what do I have to do to update the os on an early 2008 iMac?

I have an early 2008 iMac. I need to upgrade the operating system to a newer version. What do I do?

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 9:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 10:12 PM

Obsolete, yes, but still serviceable. One of my family is happily using a 2009 iMac I finished with some years ago.

If you want to upgrade your iMac to 10.11 El Capitan you can download the installer from Apple on this page here. It's a 6GB file.

Scroll down the page to point 4 and you will see the link called Download OS X El Capitan.

After that, plan your hardware upgrade path. Even if you don't wish to get a new iMac a recent refurbished model from a reputable vendor would serve you better for your future computing needs

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 24, 2020 10:12 PM in response to oldimacostoneweros

Obsolete, yes, but still serviceable. One of my family is happily using a 2009 iMac I finished with some years ago.

If you want to upgrade your iMac to 10.11 El Capitan you can download the installer from Apple on this page here. It's a 6GB file.

Scroll down the page to point 4 and you will see the link called Download OS X El Capitan.

After that, plan your hardware upgrade path. Even if you don't wish to get a new iMac a recent refurbished model from a reputable vendor would serve you better for your future computing needs

what do I have to do to update the os on an early 2008 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.