You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can a 12 Pro use a MagSafe charger in a car while connected to Apple CarPlay?

I have a 2017 Honda Accord Touring, so there is a USB outlet where the cord currently connects, Apple CarPlay is working fine on the 12 Pro, but charging using just the plug in charging cord isn’t working like it does with the 11 Pro. There seems to be no charge going to the 12, but not much loss of battery life either.

Will we have to use a USB cord to connect to CarPlay but then use the MagSafe to

recharge? I’m willing to use two cords to get it done, but it will just look

awkward. I presume that is the answer, am I right?

I'm ordering a USB-c lighter plug now to use with the Apple MagSafe charger cord.

It's a "USB C Car Charger, CCCCCCC 36W Dual Fast PD 3.0 Port Mini Type C

Car Charger Adapter with Type C Cord Compatible with iPhone 12/12 Pro" I

know you can't endorse any specific non-Apple products so I took the brand name

off.

iPhone

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 10:46 PM

4 replies

Oct 25, 2020 10:57 PM in response to DoctorFaust

1. Have you tried to charge your iPhone 12 Pro while it was charged less than 80% to start? Next time, you are in your Honda then connect your iPhone to CarPlay with the USB cord like you normally do but ensure that your iPhone is not charged more than 80% or even lower before you plug it in. Then monitor the speed of charge.
  2. Your two cords method is not going to work. Once you connect to the lightning port then CarPlay will be enabled and charging will start. Your iPhone will completely ignore the wireless / MagSafe charging at that point. You cannot have two sources of charging at one time (even though the lightning port may be charging very slowly). I recommend that you not even try it.
  3. You can use the MagSafe with your cigarette lighter type plug, if YOU want, however do not connect to CarPlay via the USB to Lightning cable because then you will have a charging mismatch.

Axel F.

Oct 25, 2020 11:28 PM in response to Axel Foley

1. Yes I was charging with about 34% in the 12 Pro and drove about 30 minutes and there was still 34%.
  2. I won't use two cords then, but is there any problem with using the MagSafe for a faster recharge and once it is up to a decent number then plugging into CarPlay only AFTER unplugging the MagSafe cord...I have to use the MagSafe magnet because Apple has now made it impossible to put a phone ring in the middle of your phone or case to use as the metal to connect to a car magnet and I am forced to use the MagSafe magnet to stick to my dash mounted phone holder with a magnet.
  3. Will I damage the phone if I or others forget to unplug one or the other cords?

Thank you Axel Foley for the help, BTW, loved your movies. ;-)

Oct 25, 2020 11:40 PM in response to DoctorFaust

1. Good thing at least the iPhone was not discharging. I have actually experienced this on my iPhone Xs MAX when connected to CarPlay with the usual USB - Lightning cable.
  2. There is no issue with that.
  3. NO. iPhones have built-in charging safety circuits and can manage overcharging and overall charging speeds.

Thanks for the compliment on the nickname.

Axel F.

Dec 4, 2020 12:35 PM in response to DoctorFaust

I have been trying the same thing using different watts car charges from different brands (my car does not have a native usb-c port so I have to use the lighter port) however I collect no positive charge when it’s connected. I’ve actually been losing battery while it is “charging.” I don’t have any answers but I’d like to see if anyone has answers.

How can a 12 Pro use a MagSafe charger in a car while connected to Apple CarPlay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.