You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default Finder window contents when opened from Dock

This is a minor annoyance but I'm determined to get to the bottom of it. I know how to set the default finder window from Finder Preferences. When I open a New Finder Window from the menu bar at the top of the screen, everything works fine and I get what I want (and can change it).

However, when I open a new finder window by using Finder icon on the Dock, I always get the same view in terms of format and the file folder that is being displayed and it is not what I want and I cannot change it. How is this changed?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 2:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 10:43 PM

Could be a corrupted Finder preferences file.

Click on Go in the menubar, select Go To Folder,

enter this text,

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

press Go.

A new Finder window will open with the file highlighted

move it to the Trash.

Restart your mac, a new file will be generated,

set your Finder preferences, now see if the behaviour has altered.

You may need to do a further restart.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2020 10:43 PM in response to the_brewer

Could be a corrupted Finder preferences file.

Click on Go in the menubar, select Go To Folder,

enter this text,

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

press Go.

A new Finder window will open with the file highlighted

move it to the Trash.

Restart your mac, a new file will be generated,

set your Finder preferences, now see if the behaviour has altered.

You may need to do a further restart.

Oct 27, 2020 10:59 AM in response to Eau Rouge

What a great tool. I am reviewing the report but not being experienced user it's hard to know what to zero in on. But very user friendly and nicely laid out. I do have one or two "clean up" utilities and I know they are a double-edged sword. I will follow EtreCheck's recommendations. Surprised to see that my SSD is considered slow.

Oct 27, 2020 10:19 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I don't think that any of these have appeared recently or are being regenerated and my machine seems to be behaving well. (Actually, it has a new lease on life and better than new from a hardware point of view, being a mid 2009 MacBook Pro with a 1TB WD SSD).

I'm just wanting to tidy up and this will my project for today...

Here are two screenshots.

The first shows all the weirdly named folders above Acrobat:

The second shows all or at least the majority of the files with "hieroglyphic" names:

I very much appreciate your help.

Oct 27, 2020 10:35 AM in response to the_brewer

If it were me I would be very tempted as these folders have no content to put them in the Trash and delete them.

Try running Etrecheck, download it here, https://www.etrecheck.com just use the free version.

Having ran etrecheck it will create a report on your mac which you can share back here.

At the top of the report there is a Share Report button which will copy the report to your Clipboard,

you can then paste the report in a Reply here using the Additional Text button third from the right of the

icons at the bottom of a Reply window. No personal information is in the report.

Oct 27, 2020 6:27 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Yes! Thank you. I’ve been trying to figure that one out for ages. I have not been able to find any reference to it anywhere online and so I just threw it out there. Thank you for responding so quickly. While looking for the finder.plist file, I noticed several, the expected one plus 4 or 5 others with alpha numeric extensions. I took the liberty of trashing them as well. Then I noticed that throughout the Library there are plists with alpha numeric extensions in many other categories. Am I safe to delete all with extensions and just keep the expected plists? I assume that they are the result of some form of corruption.

Oct 27, 2020 7:39 AM in response to the_brewer

Any plists you see with alphanumeric extensions are likely corrupted plists so I would delete them.

Yes they will display as if they are Documents.

Whenever you change a setting or preference for example a preference for the Finder

(open the ~/Library/Preferences folder and set it to display as Date Modified), you will see as you apply

the change a file com.apple.finder.plist with a random alphanumeric after the plist will appear for a

second or two and then disappear. This change will now be applied to the actual com.apple.finder.plist,

if the temporary file does not disappear then delete it but it is also an indicator that the actual com.apple.finder.plist

has become corrupt so therefore should also be deleted. Restarting the mac will regenerate the file.

Oct 27, 2020 9:48 AM in response to Eau Rouge

All of this progress and increased level of understanding leads me to what will be the last question about this particular subject! There are a number of folders that appear to have no contents which are named with characters that we do not normally use, “hieroglyphics” style names plus there are a few folders without any name at all, again appearing to have no contents and a few others that have just a single punctuation mark as a name.

Do you think I can get rid of these or am I stepping into dangerous territory?

All these comments apply only to my Preferences folder.

Oct 27, 2020 10:01 AM in response to the_brewer

Usually the default folders the OS installs on your mac would all have names that you can understand

and not be unnamed or named with symbols. but it is very hard to instruct remotely without seeing them.

Where are these folders located on your mac.

Is there some third party app you have installed that could have created these folders.

sounds like something is having a field day with your mac.

Oct 28, 2020 12:40 AM in response to the_brewer

Have read your report.

TRIM is not enabled on your mac, it would be a good thing to enable TRIM

as it should improve the performance of your SSD,

https://www.howtogeek.com/222077/how-to-enable-trim-for-third-party-ssds-on-mac-os-x/

Your SSD is running low on free space, it is a kind of general rule of thumb to keep about

15-20GBs of free space at all times so the mac can do its housekeeping. Your drive is at 24GBs

free space so it might be time to offload some data you do not need daily to one of your external drives.

Oh no you have CleanMyMac installed, this should be uninstalled according to the developers instructions.

CMM is notorious for causing more harm to macs than any benefit often flagging up files that you may be

tempted to delete, these are often system files and if deleted will cause problems.

Macs do not need any apps that promise to clean, optimise or speed your mac up, the mac looks after itself

pretty well units own, any third party app can interfere with the macs own built in housekeeping.

I see at some time you have had Avast installed, again these apps need to be uninstalled according to the

developers instructions, you still have bits of Avast in the Library/Launch Daemons and Launch Agents folder.

I would delete them.

Anti-virus apps are not necessary on macs there are no viruses that affect the mac, so the apps just run in the

background using up resources for no benefit, and again can cause you to delete system files it flags up as threats.

There are a lot of User Login Items, do you need all these apps to start up when you login to your mac.

Most are not even loaded suggesting you do not really need them. Open System Preferences> Users & Groups

Login Items, for each app you do not want to start up at login highlight it and click on the minus button.

Having too many apps open at login in can eat up your RAM usage, and you only have 8GBs to play around with.

Recently you installed Flash Player, Adobe is stopping support for Flash Player at the end of the year

so it will no longer work.

You have Fuse installed, what is that being used for, do you need it.

Towards the bottom of the report is the Clean Up section, the path of the files is listed

so you can delete them as well.

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.cleverfiles.cfbackd.plist

/Library/Application Support/CleverFiles/BackService.app/Contents/MacOS/cfbackd

Executable not found

There are a lot of things that have been installed over the macs lifetime which you may not use

now, so go through it and uninstall anything you do not need.

Oct 29, 2020 12:38 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Eau Rouge, I'm blown away by the fact that you not only went through my EtreCheck report in detail, but also wrote such a detailed analysis and reply, so quickly too.

I took this long to respond because I wanted to report substantial progress...........here I am just over 24 hours later very pleased to say that I've done everything you suggested and more.

Key points are:

I activated TRIM and although the performance of my drive is now often "in the green", (a system load of 2 to 3), there are quite a few times where the figure is ten times that. I'll give the whole system a few days, as there may be some search indexing going on.

Free space is a real problem as you and the app have pointed out. The main problem at the moment is that I have thousands of duplicated photos, perhaps 50 GB or even 100 GB. This is probably my biggest headache and is one reason that I have a couple of "duplicate finders" but I am reluctant to use them, especially after doing all the system cleanup yesterday and today. Anyway, that is the subject for another post elsewhere and I will also search the community forum first.

I have got rid of all "system cleaners", in a couple of cases by reinstalling the apps and then using themselves to uninstall. In the case of Cleanmymac2, there were still some remnants which I had to delete manually.

EaseUS, which I had used, or considered? using for data recovery a year ago had online documentation in great detail but nowhere did it clearly explain how to uninstall. I contacted their support who replied saying, "if you can't see it then it is successfully uninstalled". I therefore reinstalled the app, dragged it to the bin, rebooted and went looking. I found one file in MacHD/Library/Extensions and manually deleted.

Avast was a challenge, won't go into the details, same with "cleverfiles".

The EtreCheck app kept flagging com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist in Launch Agents but any time I went looking for it, it said the file could not be found. I therefore went through hundreds of files manually and found out what the problem was. The "file" was an alias. Got rid of it manually. A bit strange. Any comments?

All plists with alphanumeric extensions, same with the "hieroglyphics" and other strangely named files. Could not understand what Fuse was by searching the site online, neither could I remember why I downloaded it but I am sure there was a pressing reason at the time. Gone now!

All User Login Items now unchecked, although I may check Mail again.

Once again thank you for all your assistance. My mid-2009 MacBook Pro appreciates it too.

Default Finder window contents when opened from Dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.